SOIL HEALTH INNOVATOR
Are you building soil health on your farm?
We want to learn from your innovation!
Inspire other farmers by sharing pro tips about practices you use currently to improve soil health and function on your farm. Practices may include: integrating cover crops into rotation, termination methods for cover crops, diverse crop rotations, alley cropping, biomass/organic matter sourcing and application methods, application and integration of organic and natural onsite fertilizers into your nutrient management regime and more. #SoilHealthInnovators
Award amount and allocation:
Up to $1,000 will be awarded to the winning submission (will require a W9 and invoice). Two awards are available. Applications are due by Monday, November 23, 2021, at 5pm (HST).
- The soil health practice must be implemented and shared via social media by December 31, 2021.
- You must have a working production system on Oahu. (*Opportunities for other islands will open up later in 2022 -2023).
- Must be willing to host a field day to showcase your practice in January-March 2022.
- Practice increases soil organic matter or other indicator of soil health and is consistent with at least one of the four soil health principles (keep soil covered, maximize plant diversity, maximize living roots throughout the year, minimize disturbance)
- Practice is used in a commercial production system
- Practice has been in use at least 1 year
- Willing and available to share information about your practice with Oahu RC&D staff by phone or email and in a one-hour site visit.
- Willing and available to share information about your practice with other farmers through a social media post and field day.